Fattoria and Villa di Rignana, the property history

Farm and Villa Rignana, An Extraordinary Landscape

The Fattoria di Rignana re-unites in an extraordinary and rare equilibrium the beauty of its natural resources and landscape, together with the historical importance of its buildings.

Fattoria and Villa di Rignana

Local historical books mention Rignana since the 11th Century, reminding its strategic position during that time.

 It was then lived by families who worked its calcareous soils, producing grain for the making of bread, hay for the cattle, especially sheep and goats to make milk and cheese. Each house in Rignana, as well as the Fattoria, has its own forno a legna,a wood oven , to bake and cook. In those times an entire family, starting from the granparents lived in the same house.

 The family that owned Fattoria and Villa di Rignana, was also the owner of the neighbouring houses, known as case coloniche.The now well known restaurant, La Cantinetta di Rignana, was the frantoio,the oil mill. The olives were crushed by a pietra serena stone wheel on the floor, to make the extra virgin olive oil, you can still see the signs on the floors of the reaturant today.

Fattoria and Villa di Rignana

The Fattoria, where the B&B lives today, was the agricoltural base of Rignana. In the 1700 vines were planted on the estate, the today famous Sangiovese and Canaiolo, and the less famous today Trebbiano and Malvasia. On the first floor, where the rooms are now, was the Vinsantaia, where the grapes were laid to rest and mould until late November to make the Vinsanto, the Tuscan dessert wine; and where the olive oil was kept in its Orci di cotto, the beautiful big cotto vases, after finishing picking in December.

 The Villa has a typical late 1700 architecture with some changes made throughout the years. The entire Estate at that time belonged to Scipione dè Ricci, born in 1741, member of a noble family and descendant of Santa Caterina dè Ricci (died in 1541). The Chapel on the estate is dedicated to her, you can admire her on its frescoed ceilings, wearing the clothes of a nun, and on its walls.

Fattoria and Villa di Rignana

Scipione dè Ricci was Bishop of Prato and Pistoia from 1780 to 1791, his coat of arms is represented by hedgehogs (in italian ricci) and stars (in italian stelle). The hedgehog, il riccio, is today our logo and wine label star.

Scipione was exiled in Rignana from 1791 and died here in 1810 and is buried in the Chapel.

Fattoria and Villa di Rignana, since 1800

In 1999 the estate was carefully restored by its actual owners, Cosimo Gericke and Sveva Rocco di Torrepadula, who gave life to an elegant and welcoming Agriturismo, surrounded by 13 hectares of vineyard, ca. 1000 olive trees, woods and hills of ca. 110 hectares.

In the Surroundings

Hiking

Immersed into the Green of the Chianti
During your stay at Villa Farm and Rignana not miss the opportunity to stroll and enjoy the beautiful nature of our hills

Products from Tuscany

Guests of the farm and Villa Rignana will be accompanied in the discovery of our products:
the appellation territorial and excellent olive oil.

The opportunity for an enviable relaxation

The swimming pool and garden offer guests the Farm and Villa Rignana landscapes, colors and lights always new and evocative in a pleasant and relaxing.

Stories of Rignana

Fattoria & Villa di Rignana ©2005-2015 - P.I 02262440486 Privacy & Cookies Policy